Risks for obesity include gallstones, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, coronary artery disease, stroke and sleep apnea. Dependent on where your fat is stored, it can cause specific issues. It is also due to genetic disposition. Here are a few symptoms that bariatrics can help with.
- Sleep Apnea – A common disorder that causes stops or pauses in breathing while sleeping is called sleep apnea. These “pauses” can last a few seconds to minutes and usually finishes with coughing or gasping for air. Usually, this causes poor sleep quality and fatigue throughout the daytime hours. Sleep apnea is most common in people that are overweight but can also affect those with enlarged tonsil tissue or other breathing issues.
- Type 2 Diabetes – A disease that handles the amount of glucose in your body is classified as type 2 diabetes. Contributing factors include genes, extra weight and too much glucose from your liver. These issues can usually be remedied through weight reduction which lowers glucose levels in the body.
Bariatrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention and treatment of obesity. Reducing weight can lead to much more symptom relief, as well as the decreased risk for the medical issues mentioned above. Are you in the LA area and looking for a specialist in holistic bariatric medicine? Contact Dr. Bryan, MD, at 310.228.3652 for more information and to schedule a consultation, today!
Sleep is truly a vital part of cognitive brain function. Our bodies can not function without the proper amount of sleep. The brain has a chance to rejuvenate from the long day and gives it the opportunity to process the day. Sleeping disorders can include snoring, sleep apnea, insomnia, sleep deprivation, and restless leg syndrome. Experiencing these disorders can lead to lack of quality sleep that can then affect brain function, ability to operate a vehicle, hormone levels, mood and weight.
Medical hypnosis can be very affective to those that are deemed “highly suggestible” by a medical professional. This only means that you are more likely to benefit from hypnosis. Both men and women that are highly suggestible can feel the results of hypnosis for sleep disorders. This would include experiencing a deeper, more peaceful sleep and an overall boost in sleep quality. It is believed that over half the population is considered highly suggestible to hypnosis and would have a side-effect free way of experiencing quality sleep.
Medical hypnosis can truly benefit those suffering from some sleeping disorders. Other medical hypnosis treatments are also available for pain management, HIV/AIDS treatment, weight management, migraines and lowering blood pressure. If you are looking for hypnosis for sleep disorders near LA, contact Dr. Bryan, MD, today at 310.228.3652!
Massage is actually a form of holistic manual therapy, but certainly not the only type. Manual therapy is the manipulation of the body to relax muscles and soft tissues, increase blood and oxygen flow, provide warmth and relieve pain to the affected area. There are a few forms of typical types of massage that are usually practiced during holistic manual therapy.
Swedish Massage – This is where the therapist focuses on using long strokes across the muscles mixed with kneading and friction to promote flexibility. The uses of light, rhythmic and tapping strokes are also used for top layers of the muscle. It can be both relaxing and energizing to receive a Swedish massage.
Deep Tissue Massage – Deep tissue therapy is where there is a large amount of attention given to certain painful or stiff areas of the body. The therapist would use slow deliberate strokes to pay special attention to the layers of muscles, tendons and other tissues in the affected area. Chronic pain can be alleviated through deep tissue massage.
Neuromuscular Therapy – NMT is an approach that is usually given to those patients with severe, chronic pain. NMT is a massage therapy that focuses on soft tissue with soft pressure to stimulate skeletal striated muscles. The steps of neuromuscular therapy include locating the area of spasm and using gliding then grasping techniques to use friction to alleviate strain.
Holistic manual therapy can be a very useful form of therapy for chronic pain. See a professional today.
Are you in the LA area? Contact Dr. Bryan, MD, for further explanation of holistic manual therapy, today at 310.228.3652!
HIV pain is a chronic condition associated with the disease. Quality of life standards are not met during this time and pain can be mild to severe at times. The pain is directly caused by the disease and can worsen over time. Here are a few causes of HIV pain.
- Inflammation – When your body is trying to fight the disease, inflammation occurs. This is due to the fact that your body is trying to heal itself by giving fluid to the area affected. Inflammation often hurts and causes stiffness, discomfort and distress. Usually, the pain is a throbbing type, possibly pulsating with stabbing and pinching.
- Headaches – Headaches can occur as part of HIV pain. They are usually due to muscle tension, stress, inflamed sinuses and the infection to the nervous system. The pain associated with HIV headaches can fluctuate from minimal to severe.
- Gastrointestinal Pain – Pain from the digestive system includes sore throat and discomfort in the stomach and intestines. Ulcers and cold sores may also develop causing difficulty eating.
HIV pain is a chronic issue that needs specific treatment. Receiving regular care is important in the form of Eastern and Western medicines to improve mind and body. HIV Pain Management in Los Angeles can be found with Dr. Bryan MD.
The overall theme of Integrative Holistic Manual Therapy is to provide pain relief through gentle hand pressure at precise points. The difficulty comes in when it actually pinpoints thousands of structures within the human body through a series of techniques. Here are a few FAQs about IMT:
- How Does Integrative Manual Therapy Work? IMT will improve the integrity of your movements throughout your body. From tendons to muscles and nerves, IMT will be a gently but powerful therapy to let the body have an opportunity to heal itself.
- How will IMT help me? Integrative Manual Therapy will help to reduce pain. However, it is also extremely beneficial to reduce stress and improve functionality. If you are looking to recover from a specific injury, it will expedite this process by directly targeting specific muscle groups and structures throughout the body.
- What can I expect from traditional Integrated Holistic Manual Therapy? Three main techniques may be used by a physician. These include Mobilization (controlled stretching), Manipulation (rapid force to force joints into articulation) and Massage (repetitive pressure).
With Integrated Holistic Manual Therapy you can expect to see results in a matter of minutes, and continued comfort with continued appointments. See an experienced physician, like Dr. Bryan MD, today to experience all that IMT has to offer!
Medical Acupuncture can effectively treat several gynecological disorders. This includes painful menstruation, PMS and the inability to menstruate. Relieving the symptoms is the key to medical acupuncture. Here are a few situations where medical acupuncture for gynecological disorders can help.
- Dysmenorrhea – Painful menstruation is called dysmenorrhea. Pain and discomfort can be alleviated when treated with medical acupuncture. This would include minimizing the pain from cramps.
- PMS – Premenstrual syndrome can be a time of monthly swollen or tender breaks, fatigue, trouble sleeping, bloating, headaches, cravings, muscle plain, concentration issues, irritability, anxiety and depression. Many of these discomforts can be alleviated by medical acupuncture.
- Amenorrhea – The lack of menstruation is called amenorrhea. This can be considered a genetic defect or could be resulting from another issue. Symptoms may include the production of milk in a woman who is not pregnant or breastfeeding, headaches, reduced peripheral vision, increased hair growth, hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain and anxiety.
Medical acupuncture for gynecological disorders can have many benefits. The reduction of pain and improved mental well-being are just some of the most prevalent. Consult a professional medical acupuncturist for full recommendations. For more information concerning medical acupuncture in the LA area, consult Dr. Bryan, MD at 310.228.3652.
As mentioned in our previous post, this is a very important topic to talk about in today’s world. Continue reading more to learn about the motivational path to change!
- Decision-Making – The time to make a choice has finally come! It takes a strong conviction to finally have a true decision. It is at this stage that the usual doubt starts to creep into our thoughts. It is most crucial during this time to have an outlet for our hesitation and Motivational Interviewing can be at its most beneficial.
- Action – During the action phase, it is important to put into play the strategies that a physician would offer for coping and promoting change.
- Maintenance – It is customary to continue with Motivational Interviewing well after the Decision-Making step to ensure that a change has been made. During this time, relapse is possible and should be monitored. It is possible for a different decision to be made and a new cycle will then begin.
It is important to note that this process is cyclical and may begin and end at any of the 5 stages. Within the intention of Motivational Interviewing, it is usually applied to holistic addiction medicine. Many techniques may be used interchangeably, and can be beneficial if used together in a process designed by a physician.
Ever feel like you need a push in the right direction? Motivational Interviewing might be the perfect technique to give you that boost. Physicians develop a conversation with the client that can give a voice to the inner-monologue of self-doubt. Through this process, the possibility of change can be achieved through conquering fear and putting themselves in a more positive mindset. Here are a few stages of change that are focused on when looking into Motivational Interviewing (MI):
- Pre-Contemplation- This stage of change is just part of the cycle, meaning that there is no beginning or end. Yet, when starting to make a specific change, it is important to recognize that not all changes begin with a choice. First, it begins without intention. This is what causes the pattern to continue without the goal of change.
- Contemplation – Like most things in life, we can contemplate the positive and negative outcomes of our decisions. During the contemplation phase, it is common to have a neutral opinion on the pattern-at-hand. Usually, we can come up with what we “feel” is right, wrong, important or unimportant.
Since this is such an important topic in today’s world, we broke this blog post into two parts to really give it the attention that it needs. This topic is one that Dr. Bryan MD can truly help his patients with. Please continue reading to learn more about this important topic!
Holistic Medicine brings the worlds of physical, nutritional, environmental, emotional, spiritual and lifestyle together. It is the process by which a holistic physician promotes safe and effective alternate options to traditional treatment options. When choosing holistic methods, it is important to understand the benefits, as well as the fundamental reasoning behind the approach that each physician might use.
- Promotion of Education – When a physician suggests self-care in the form of lifestyle changes, this is comparable to the use of education to heal the body. In these circumstances, it is beneficial to the patient to learn the physician’s best practices, as well as the other treatment options available.
- Searching for the Cause, Not Researching the Symptoms – A physician may suggest this method when a link back to the early cause of the symptoms would alleviate the initial indicators of illness. Through this process, unnecessary medications will not be administered and the root cause of illness will be eliminated.
- Prevention Over Treatment – This holistic method is understood as most cost-effective, as well as the self-promotion of wellness. When focusing on the entire patient, instead of the disease, prevention is a more appropriate form of action. It is a physician’s responsibility to influence the whole patient as a way of improving the entire human experience.
When focusing efforts on holistic methods, it provides the patient and the physician a way to have open interaction within the context of healing. Giving the patient access to self-healing, promotes a positive outlook, as well as an overwhelming response from the body to heal itself, with proper guidance from a holistic physician. When discussing a holistic approach, consider the factors above before beginning your strategy to good health and well-being.